Search This Blog

Thursday 31 October 2013

Thing 6 - More about browsers

Was planning to play around with these this lunchtime but forgot I only have access to IE9 at this site.  So no in-depth analysis I'm afraid.

My default position is always to use Internet Explorer - old habits die hard - (I even forget it is called Explorer and mumble on about Netscape from time to time).  However I am slowly being converted to Google Chrome.  This has come about by necessity as when HDAS wasn't working we could only get searches completed if we ran HDAS on Chrome.  Benefits of Chrome are the speed and integration with other Google products (we use Google calendar and it works well on Chrome).  The main thing I struggle with on Chrome are downloads as I always forget that it produces a minimised status window at the bottom left of the screen and you have to click on this to see your downloaded document.

At home I have Chrome installed but also have access to Firefox (a favourite with my son who likes the speed of Firefox for gaming) and Safari.  I really should spend some time looking at user guides to each and practising with favourites etc.  For example I am still unclear about the difference between Reading List and Bookmarks on Safari - I know one lets you read content off-line - reading lists? but end up saving everyhting there which is probably not very efficient.


So I am just trying some of the suggested things from 19ThingsTVW on IE9 gto see if any work:

  • Clicking on a link with  the mouse wheel does open the link in a new tab - very handy
  • Click, hold and drag tabs to re-order
  • Click, hold and drop above the tab list to open tab in new window (but can't work out how to get it back again!)
I have also discovered a really useful tool for me when I am sharing the PC with a colleague.  I have a really annoying habit of closing all tabs down after browsing rather than just the tab I was working on.  I have discovered that if you right-click on the tab bar you get an option to view and restore recently closed tabs - magic!


 

2 comments:

  1. I really like your autumnal background. Very appropriate.
    I too find the way Chrome downloads your documents into a minimised window - many's the time I've downloaded something a second time before realising what's happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I was hoping to get more pics of autumn leaves before the wind took them all down - will have to try again next year :)

      Delete